All our fixtures are made of solid brass and copper. Because most of our exterior fixtures are unlacquered, with the exception of CV and RT, the finishes will start to oxidize once exposed to the weather. Both brass and copper finishes will darken, but copper will tend to verde more so than brass. This process is accelerated by the acidity of rain, other air pollution, the exposure to UV light and salt air, just to name a few.
Following is a list of finishes we offer:
RWB – Raw Brass
RWC – Raw Copper
AB – Antique Brass
AC – Antique Copper
DAB – Dark Antique Brass (blackened brass)
DAC – Dark Antique Copper (blackened copper)
ORB – Oil Rubbed Brass
PB – Polished Brass
PC – Polished Copper
ACV – Antique Copper Verde
CV – Copper Verde
RT – Rust
- RWB and RWC do not have a coating over the finish and therefore will darken.
- AB, AC and ORB are oil-rubbed finishes. The oil protects the finish during shipping. Once the oil evaporates, the finish will start to darken. To prolong the finish, we suggest rubbing the fixture periodically with light-weight motor oil.
- DAB and DAC do not have a coating over the finish. The metal is darkened to a dark charcoal color. Over time, the color will deepen.
- ACV does not have a coating over the finish. The copper metal is darkened and then spots of verde are applied. Over time, the color will deepen.
- CV and RUST have a light coating of lacquer applied. The metal is darkened to a charcoal color and then a chemical wash is applied. The CV looks like a green wash and the RUST looks like a wash of browns, yellows and golds.
TO CLEAN YOUR FIXTURES, WE SUGGEST DUSTING THE METAL PERIODICALLY WITH A SOFT DRY CLOTH. TO CLEAN THE GLASS, YOU CAN USE A GLASS CLEANER, BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET THE CLEANER ON THE METAL OR IT MAY ALTER YOUR FINISH.
All our finishes are hand-applied; therefore variations will occur.
Please note the coating produced during the brass/copper oxidation process can run off during rains and could stain siding or pathways.
If fixtures are going to be exposed to salt air, we suggest choosing a brass finish. To keep salt build up to a minimum, we suggest rubbing the fixture periodically with light-weight motor oil.
We do not guarantee any finish when exposed to salt environments.